Saturday 4 April 2020

Isolation Motivation...

As I try to stay at home and help in a small way to slow down the spread of Covid-19, I have (like most of us I expect) been looking at which projects should benefit from the enforced indoor time...

When I am not being distracted by  model boats, I have been trying to get on with painting my Ottoman Turk army. This is a long term project (looooong term) that has taken on impetus by the arrival of the superb Warfare Miniatures range of figures (have a look here) that fit perfectly with what I am trying to do. The other kick was my finally grasping the nettle and casting up some of my own figures and components so that I could produce figures that are just what I want (click here.)

The two events have given me no more excuses but to get a viable force on the table. The latest step of which was finishing a unit of the Warfare Janissaries and the first command stand.



This unit is all Warfare (I do often mix and match ranges in a shameless way!) The flag is cobbled together by manipulating illustrations from the Internet. Information on specific standards/colours is incomplete so I am just choosing what looks pretty for the most part.


Another example here, printed out from a photo of an actual flag. Probably a bit too fussy to work well on the tabletop. I suspect the Aghas did not have a flag as well as the horsehair standard that declared their rank but I like the combination, so sue me. This base has a pair of Old Glory figures from their Ottoman (The Long Decline) range. The chap carrying the standard and the unit of Silhidar cavalry behind were an Ebay purchase where someone has spent a lot of time and skill making these figures look very special. The officer in the red turban is my efforts.



Getting a few units finished and based has had the usual motivational effect. I immediately started looking at what will be next up. More command stands are near the top of the queue as, otherwise I always end up rushing them the night before a first game, or worse, using proxies from another army. The other neglected unit is often artillery, so I have guns, artillerists and some officers on their way to the undercoating station in my garage.


5 comments:

augsburgeroberst said...

Looking good Adam - clearly a fan of the Porte, not just any port in a storm!

Augsburgeroberst said...

Looking good Adam - clearly a fan of the Porte, not just any port in a storm!

Adam said...

Thank you!
(I didn't realise until now that I have been missing obscure historical puns! )

augsburgeroberst said...

just come to me for those - I am both low grade and a pun-dit

Sam said...

look great, nice to see more Ottoman stuff represented in wargames